Monday, August 1, 2016

Welcome to the world of Chaiwala

It has been a while since I gave a review about the eateries that have been popping up especially those near Khayaban-e-Muhafiz (I think) area. That line is populated with famous dhabas that have gained popularity over time and are favored by all and sundry not only to relax but to have business meetings and big business plans carried out as well.
One of these dhabas that has grown in significance is Chaiwala, a name that now resonates with the best tea and parathas in town. Truly Chaiwala’s popularity has hit the roof (if they had one because here the sky is the limit!). To those of you who don’t know, Chaiwala is an open aired parking lot based dhaba of sorts that has quite an elite gentry going to it.
The dhaba opens at night (I think because I haven’t bothered going in the afternoon or evening to know!!) an the open air, truck art graffiti on the wall and plastic chairs and tables in the empty plot along with the plot right opposite to the dhaba full of cars with waiting customers just about adds to the ambiance of the place.
Before I go on about Chaiwala, let me point out that right next to it is another eatery by the name of ‘Dandees’ and yet another by the name of ‘Chai Shai’ that has their own artwork and graffiti as well. These two have also gone on to have a booming business here though I don’t think they give ‘Chaiwala much competition (or maybe they do).
Coming back to the point, my recent trip there was to pick a quick order and as usual we landed in the car park/waiting area to be bombarded with waiters from all surrounding eateries but ‘Chaiwala’ itself. Upon asking for the waiter from ‘Chaiwala’ we waited a good 30 minutes (yes we timed it), and finally got fed up only to take the car in the lane right next to it so that someone could see us and serve as well!! Finally when a poor waiter did come he couldn't understand head or tail of what we wanted, but I'll give the guy his due he immediately sent another waiter (well trained) who took our order with a promise to give the take away items within 10 minutes (something that all eateries including this one says but never does!).
One thing before I go on is that Chaiwala's tea aka chai and parathas are phenomenally delicious. It has to offer a wide range of tea and parathas to choose from that are not only mouth-watering but hygienically served as well (I have no idea how clean the kitchen itself is an I don't really care as long as there is good hot food to stuff in the face).
Their Nutella paratha is to die for and the chicken cheese one topped with a cup of doodh patti or Kashmiri chai is simply delish!
We had ended up ordering their plain paratha, hummus paratha, cheese, chicken cheese and anda cheese parathas. By the way they have an amazing variety and I could go one an on but you literally need to go an try for yourself to know. The order took a good half an hour to 45 minutes before it finally reached us. But hey its food, good food so you can compensate on timing a bit I guess if you are a happy go lucky person.
Happily, on my way with the order, we had a blast with our taste buds especially with the tangy spicy cheese an chicken paratha an the hummus one.
The only downside (well 3 downsides) to this place are that firstly the service is slow (almost dead), secondly the ample amount of beggars there to fleece you and thirdly if by chance you sit in the open air area the mosquitoes that come along with the ambiance as well.
On the whole Chaiwala has done quite well and till date I think have managed to maintain their quality and taste as well (or maybe it’s my luck that I get good food whenever I go!).

Rating: 4 stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment