Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Shootout at Hilal Park



We always have certain days in our lives that we will never forget – a wedding – loss of a loved one – time spent with a special someone – and for me the time when my father was shot. We had of recently begun our “adventure” of going for a walk to the “Hilal Park” so that once we went for Hajj we’d be able to perform it with light ease. Anyway on 25th June 2012, a day that started off as ordinary with me going to work, cribbing about it, getting home and ultimately gearing to go to the park with my parents ended with my family waiting outside “South City” with my father in the operation theatre – a bullet in his leg.
The incident itself is crystal clear in my mind…I still remember my father parking the car …my mother and me getting out of it – 2 molvi men came out of the blue in a hurry and mumbled something inaudible. My mother thinking that they were simple beggars told them to move on to which the elder of the 2 shot at my mother. Now my mother due to her age has slow reflexes but at the point she managed to duct the bullet. Hearing the shot my father tried getting out of the car to which the man shot my father in the leg at close range before sitting on the bike with his accomplice and running away.
The moment the shot was fired many people rushed to the scene – some simply starring at my father – others thinking of ways to help. Finally this gentleman came forward and rushed my father to “South City” for emergency treatment and a lady called one of the best of doctors to help us with the medical treatment. To this date I remember calling my brother-in-law and asking him to reach there and then calling my aunt to come get me from the park where I had stayed back with the car.
Its itched in my memory of how my uncle was dealing with the police and family (cousins and their children) sat with us till the surgery took place. How my aunt was sitting with my mother in the room praying and waiting for my father’s safety.
It’s funny yet sad that we hear of people getting shot or getting robbed at gun point but when it happens to your near and dear ones then it really does hit home. It really makes you wonder what this country is coming to. Every day we hear of shoot outs or robbery, of brutal murders and other hideous crimes and nothing can be done about it. My family is simple and ordinary and don’t have millions or trillions to flaunt – what was there to take from us? Why us? We never thought ill for anyone or for that matter tried to harm anyone then why us?
I pray that may Allah keep us all safe. People deserve to have a peaceful life no matter what caste or creed or race. No one deserves to get shot out just because they don’t carry cash or gold or other jewels nor do they deserve to get kidnapped only to be found in bundles in deserted areas where one doesn’t even think of going. I have no words to explain what I felt. During that time my family and I were so agitated and frustrated that we could only think of leaving this country as soon as possible. Now we have just come to terms with what has happened. Every day I go to work – out with friends – and return home with a slight fear in my heart – what next?

No comments:

Post a Comment